- Ph.D. 1990, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- M.S. 1985, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- B.S. 1980, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Climate change, software engineering, serious games, educational technology, renewable energy
- University of Hawaii Board of Regents Medal for Excellence in Teaching, 2019
- PI, “Using Degree Experience Plans to Improve Engagement, Retention, and Diversity of Undergraduates in Computer Science”, National Science Foundation, $299,208 2018-2020.
- University of Hawaii President’s Green Project Implementation Award, 2018
- PI, “Human centered information integration for the smart grid”, National Science Foundation, $413,467, 2010-2014
- RadGrad: Removing the ‘Extra’ from Extracurricular to Improve Student Engagement, Retention, and Diversity, Philip Johnson, Carleton Moore, Peter Leong, Seungoh Paek, Proceedings of the 51st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, March, 2020.
- Design and Evaluation of an Athletic Approach to Software Engineering Education, Philip Johnson, ACM Transactions on Computing Education, August, 2019.
- A transient classification system implementation on an open source distributed power quality network, Charles Dickens, Anthony J. Christe, and Philip M. Johnson, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Smart Grids, Green Communications and IT Energy-aware Technologies, June 2019.
- OPQ Version 2: An architecture for distributed, real-time, high performance power data acquisition, analysis, and visualization, A. Christe, S. Negrashov, P. Johnson, D. Nakahodo, D. Badke, and D. Aghalarpour, Proceedings of the Seventh Annual IEEE International Conference on CYBER Technology in Automation, Control, and Intelligent Systems, July, 2017
- Makahiki: An open source serious game framework for sustainability education and conservation, Y. Xu, P. Johnson, G. Lee, C. Moore, R. Brewer, Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Sustainability, Technology, and Education, New Taipei City, Taiwan, December, 2014
- Three principals for the design of energy feedback visualizations, R.Brewer, Y. Xu, G. Lee, M. Katchuck, C. Moore, P. Johnson, International Journal on Advances in Intelligent Systems, December, 2013.
- Spring 2019
- ICS 314 Software Engineering I
- Fall 2019
- ICS 314 Software Engineering 1
- ICS 491: Special Topics (The Hawaii Annual Code Challenge)
- Member, Planning Committee, Hawaii Annual Code Challenge, 2017-present.
- Member, Program Committee, International Conference on Smart Grids, Green Communications and IT Energy-aware Technologies (2011-present)
- CEO, Open Power Quality Inc. 2013-2019.
- Member, Board of Directors, Hawaii Strategic Development Corporation (2006-2009)