ICS Students Win Big at AT&T Hackathon

ICS students and alumni swept almost all categories, including the Grand Prize, at the 2017 UH-AT&T Hackathon.

Grand Prize – Overall, Entertainment/Gaming 1st Place
Clay Nakamura (ICS) for DJ Reddit, a stuffed animal outfitted with a Raspberry PI and small speakers. DJ Reddit uses the Reddit API to download and play newly posted songs from /r/listentothis.

Entertainment/Gaming 2nd Place
Tony Gaskell (ICS Alumnus), Brandon Bards, Joelle Torneros, Sean Nakamura, and Joseph Carlson for Gapcha. 

Best Use of M2X, Best IoT 1st Place
Terry Palomares (ICS), Jonathan Robello (ICS), Brian Mayeshiro (ICS), Austin Haruki (ICS Alumnus) and Torsten Vaivai-Soderberg for Demeter, a Raspberry PI outfitted with humidity, temperature, and light sensors. A corresponding app gamifies gardening by awarding badges and achievements for providing appropriate sunlight and water.

Best IoT 2nd Place
Davis McKay for Maka’ala

Most Technical
Andrew Yamamoto (ICS), Aisis Chen, and Bradford Baris for Multipass

UI/UX
Il Ung Jeong (ICS) and Gina Watanabe for Village, a localized, micro-task application that enables users to create and view tasks in the neighborhood that will make a direct difference to their community.

Interested in participating next year? Here’s some thoughts from the winners:

• I firmly believe that knowledge gained from experiences like the Hackathon will out-value any short-term monetary gain. (Brian Mayeshiro)
  • I highly recommend you attend the event regardless of your skill level. Focus on building up a skill or a personal project that school has prevented you from doing. (Clay Nakamura)
  • My favorite part of the Hackathon was not having to worry about my part-time job or my homework and just immersing myself in coding. (Il Ung Jeong)
  • I learned that you can accomplish a lot within 24 hours. (Jonathan Robello)
  • Definitely be ambitious, even if it means you have to stay up for the full 24 hours and be driven by coffee and energy drinks. (Terry Palomares)

Judges were State Senator Glenn Wakai, Chair of the Senate committee overseeing technology, Mark Wong, CIO of the City and County of Honolulu, Garret Yoshimi, UH CIO and VP for Information Technology, and Mark Quezada, CTO of local tech startup Hobnob. Congratulations to all!